Is the price of plane tickets holding you back from taking the trip of your dreams? What if I told you there was a way to earn a FREE International Flight purely with credit card reward points in just THREE months? Many of us do not take advantage of all the travel perks that are out there, including this major perk: Credit Card Reward Points. With a little bit of research and planning, that trip of your dreams can become reality, sooner than later.
Here I will lay out the steps on how to earn enough points for a FREE International Flight with the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card in just three months:
(Bonus: Have your bestie or significant other follow these steps as well, and you’ll have yourself a trip for two!)
1) Sign up for the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card and spend $4k in 3 months to receive the 50k sign up bonus. Do you have expenses/purchases that total $1,333 per month? Use your card for all expenses/purchases and the points will be in your hands in no time.
Points Balance: 50,000
2) Within the first 3 months add an authorized user to your account and have them make a purchase (you can order the authorized user their own card). One purchase will land you another 5k points.
Points Balance: 55,000
3) Use your card to make all dining and travel related (taxis, airfare, hotel, etc.) purchases to score 2 points for every dollar spent. Note: Dinning includes all restaurant establishments and bars, however does not include grocery markets. For the purpose of this exercise I will assume you spent exactly $4k in the last three months and $200 a month on dining/travel related expenses.
$600 x 2 points per dollar = 1,200 additional points
Points Balance: 56,200
4) Shop through Chase: Make purchases online through the ‘Shop through Chase’ link on your account to double, triple, or even quadruple earned points! Examples include: 2 points for every $1 spent at Walmart.com, 3 points for every $1 spent at Lowes.com, and 4 points for every $1 spent at Groupon.com. (Note: You must make the purchase through the link on your account to receive the extra bonuses.) For the purpose of this exercise I will again assume the $4k was spent in the last three months and the following amounts were spent at the above stores:
- $600 x 2 points per dollar at WalMart.com = 1,200 additional points
- $200 x 3 points per dollar at Lowes.com = 600 additional points
- $100 x 4 points per dollar at Groupon.com = 400 additional points
= 2,200 additional points
Points Balance: 58,400
5) All other purchases equate to 1 point for every dollar spent. Based on #3 and #4 above, I have only accounted for $1,500 worth of spending. The remaining $2,500 spent on your card will give you at least 2,500 points.
Points Balance: 60,900
Now you might be saying, “60,900 points looks great… but what does that get me?” Here are a few examples of what 60,900 points can buy (through Chase Ultimate Rewards):
- 58,000 points will buy a roundtrip flight from St. Louis, MO to Lima, Peru in fall through spring.
- 53,000 points will buy a roundtrip flight from London, GB to Cape Town, SA during most of the summer months (Oct -Feb) with December/early January being a bit more expensive.
- 56,000 points will buy a roundtrip from Bangkok, TH to Auckland, NZ from end of Feb through Nov.
Additional Benefits of the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card include:
- $0 foreign transaction fees
- 24/7 Access
- 20% off travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards
- No blackout dates on award travel
- 1 for 1 point transfer to participating travel programs
- travel protection benefits (ex: trip cancellation insurance, car rental insurance)
- 10,000 point bonus for friend referral (up to 5 friends)
**Note: $0 Annual Fee for the first year only, then $95
So there you have it. Minimal change to your spending habits and you can reward yourself with that dream vacation.
No excuses, go make it happen!
As noted above, one of the perks of the card is friend referral. If you feel inspired by this post and are ready to start maximizing the available travel perks, please consider sending me an email and allowing me to refer you. I can have a link sent to you within the week.
Additionally, I would love to hear success stories on how you maximized your reward points. Drop me a comment or send me an email with any feedback you may have.
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are the author’s alone. This content has not been approved or endorsed by the credit card issuer.